Thursday, September 13, 2012

ARC Book Review: What's Left of Me by Kat Zhang


Title: What's Left of Me
Author:  Kat Zhang
Publisher:
HarperTeen
Release Date: September 18, 2012
Rating:
3/5

Cover Impressions: The cover is interesting but I do feel that it is missing something.  Perhaps it is the lack of color that is throwing me, though I do understand the purpose in washing it out in order to reflect how Eva had faded to nearly nothing.

The Gist:
In the world of the Hybrid Chronicles every body is born with two souls, each with a distinct personality.  Through their younger years, these souls exchange use of the body and are treated as two separate individuals.  However, as they grow older, one soul rises and dominant and the other fades away forever.  Once in a while, there is a soul that hangs on: a Hybrid - feared and hunted.  This is Eva and Addie.  For three years Eva has hidden away, locked inside Addie's mind while she tries to pretend that they have settled, that they are normal.  But Eva sees a chance to live and be known and it will drag both of them down a dangerous path. 

Review:
  I will admit, this book took me longer than normal to finish.  Admittedly, the munchkin and I were visiting my parents which does not make for the most friendly of reading environments, but I still feel like there was something missing.

The world was interesting.  The concept of two souls in one body is unique and opens the door for a lot of exploration.  I did find it difficult to piece together the history that led to this particular place and time.  A war was mentioned a time or two, but I would have liked some more details (perhaps they will be forthcoming in subsequent novels?)  The writing was fast paced and exciting and I cannot quite put my finger on what kept me from diving for this book at every free moment.

Perhaps it was the characters.  I found it difficult to connect with Addie and Eva.  They had spent so much time trying to blend in and not be noticed that they came off a little bland.  The secondary characters were not much more exciting.  I would really have liked to have been able to tell simply through dialogue and actions, which soul had taken over the bodies at which point.  Instead, I had to be told by Eva who was in control and it took something away from this unique premise.

In the end, I was a little underwhelmed.  There was some character growth and a set up for the next novel but nothing that really left me satisfied in the outcome.  The book was enjoyable enough that I will be coming back for the second in the series and hoping for some more dynamic characters to go with the roller-coaster plot.

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age:
16 and up
Gender:  Both
Sex:  Kissing
Violence:  Physical restraint, unnecessary surgery
Inappropriate Language: None
Substance Use/Abuse: None

0 comments:

Post a Comment