Thursday, September 27, 2012

Book Review: Drama by Raina Telgemeier

Title: Drama
Author: Raina Telgemeier
Publisher: Scholastic
Release Date: September 1, 2012
Rating:
  4/5

Cover Impressions: This cover is super cute.  I love the colors and the artwork.  The character depictions are great (love the purple hair) and I can really see this grabbing the attention of some of my students.

The Gist:
In this graphic novel a middle school's production of Moon over Mississippi has almost as much drama off the stage as on it.  Callie works as the set designer and has some grandiose ideas (some of which actually work!).  Along with her friends on the stage crew, she endeavors to pull off the best production the school has ever seen, and possibly orchestrate a love scene of her own.

Review: 
Drama is a well written and beautifully illustrated graphic novel.  It is a quick, entertaining read that is sure to capture the hearts of readers who enjoy this genre.  I don't have a lot of experience with graphic novels but I am happy to say that, in watching my students, I have seen novels like Drama in the hands of both experienced and reluctant readers.

Drama introduces some fun and interesting characters.  Callie is cute, quirky, funny and (mostly) confident.  She is the type of character that I love to introduce to young readers.  My heart wrenched at her love troubles and soared with her triumphs.  Callie and her fellow students are incredibly dedicated to their school's production and it made me very happy to read about young students taking responsibility and initiative within their school.

This novel touched on issues of love and sexuality in a way that was both mature and age appropriate.  I would be happy to place this book into the hands of any of my students. 

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age:
9-13
Gender:  Both
Sex:  None - Discussion of being Gay
Violence:  None
Inappropriate Language: None
Substance Use/Abuse: None

0 comments:

Post a Comment