Thursday, November 29, 2012

Audio Book Review: To Kill A Mockingbird by Harper Lee

Title: To Kill A Mockingbird
Author: Harper Lee
Publisher: Caedmon
Release Date: Aug 22, 2006
Rating: 4.5/5

Cover Impressions:
Meh.  Boring imagery - doesn't do the book justice.

Review:
What can I say about this book that hasn't already been said?  I was never forced to read it while in school (or university), but it has remained on my list of classics to read.  To be honest, I knew very little about it prior to starting, but I can now see why it has become a staple in so many classrooms.  The writing style is fluid and prose beautiful, without being inaccessible for today's students.  The historic setting transports the reader to a slower time that is often looked upon with nostalgia and longing.  However, the subject matter soon turns and reveals the dark underbelly of this society.

The part about this novel that I truly loved was its characters.  Scout has an incredible voice and she interjects a wonderful sense of humor to a plot that would otherwise have gotten far too serious for young readers.  The author managed to write a child that is precocious, innocent and most importantly - believable.  The adult characters are also wonderfully drawn, with strengths and flaws

The audio version of this book was fantastic for my traffic-ridden commute.  The pace was slower than many of the other books I have listened to and the prose flowed like smooth chocolate - which worked very well to keep me calm, I must admit.  Sissy Spacek was an great choice as narrator and she did a wonderful job of embodying the voice of Scout.

I truly enjoyed To Kill a Mockingbird, and it has inspired me to seek out other classic YA in audiobook format.

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age:
15 and up
Gender: Both
Sex: None
Violence: Gunplay, Knifeplay, Discussion of Rape
Inappropriate Language: None
Substance Use/Abuse: None

0 comments:

Post a Comment