Thursday, January 10, 2013

Book Review: Looking for Alaska by John Green

Title: Looking for Alaska
Author: John Green
Publisher: Penguin
Release Date: December 28, 2006
Rating: 3/5

Cover Impressions:
Meh. Not something that would ever grab my attention except for the name John Green.

The Gist:
During his first day at Culver Creek Boarding School Miles "Pudge" Halter meets the strange in enigmatic Alaska Young and nothing will ever be the same. 

Review: 

Looking for Alaska is split into Before and After some mysterious event.  It is difficult to discuss this, and difficult to write a review without giving away the big event - so I will try to discuss other factors.

I had some issues with this novel.  I loved The Fault In Our Stars and was looking for the same type of connection with the characters.  However, I didn't find it here.  I found the characters to be generally unlikeable.  They were not particularly friendly or caring.  They drank a lot, smoked a lot and swore a lot.  They didn't really seem to DO anything.  The teen angst dial was a little too high and I found it difficult to feel anything for the characters or their situation.

This is not the novel for a reader who wishes for a great deal of action - there is very little.  What you will get is page upon page of teenagers waxing philosophically and asking big questions about life.  I will admit, I kept waiting for the big reveal - for some piece of evidence that would answer one of the main questions that the plot poses, but I guess that is much of the point.  There are never adequate answers in these types of situations and the living must simply attempt to go on living.

Perhaps as a teenager, this would have more resonance.  However, as a jaded 30 year old teacher - it falls flat.

A note on content:  this is another book that I find frustrating in that the language/sexual content prevents me from recommending to my students.     

Teaching/Parental Notes:

Age:
16 and up
Gender: Both
Sex: Kissing, Petting, Talk of Masturbation, Vulgar Sexual Language
Violence: Death by car accident
Inappropriate Language: Shit, Christ, Fuck, Ass, Bastard, Piss, Bitch, Dick, Pissed
Substance Use/Abuse: Underage Drinking, Smoking, Marijuana Use
Other Issues: Suicide, Child Abuse

0 comments:

Post a Comment