Sunday, June 2, 2013

First Lines: May 2013

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in May.

Gone, Gone, Gone by Hannah Moskowitz
"I wake up to a quiet world."

 Openly Straight by Bill Konigsberg
"If it were up to my dad, my entire life would be on video."

 Dare You To by Katie McGarry
"I'm not interested in second place."

Stormbringers by Philippa Gregory
"The five travelers on horseback on the rutted track to Pescara made everyone turn and stare: from the woman who brought them weak ale in a roadside inn; to the peasant building a hewn stone wall by the side of the road; to the boy trailing home from school to work in his father's vineyard; each and every one smiled at the radiance of the handsome couple at the front of the little cavalcade, for they were beautiful, young, and - as anyone could see - falling in love."

Dance of the Red Death by Bethany Griffin
"My father is a murderer."

This was definitely a slow month.  Things at work got super busy and when I finally got home the beckon of the T.V. was just too much to bear.

My favorite first line this month was probably from Openly Straight.  It was odd and intriguing. 

My least favorite was definitely from Stormbringers.  Holy long sentence Batman!  It was easily the longest first line I have encountered since I started this feature.  It painted a picture, but was simply too long to maintain interest or to be memorable. 
 

0 comments:

Post a Comment