Tuesday, July 2, 2013

ARC Book Review: The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler

Title: The Bookstore
Author: Deborah Meyler
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: August 20, 2013
Rating: 2/5

Cover Impressions: 
This cover is very pretty and I am loving that there is just a hint of cleavage (nothing distasteful).

Review: 

The Bookstore is the story of a young woman who escapes England for the excitement of New York.  While completing her degree, she meets and falls in love with a suave and wealthy man.  When she finds herself pregnant and jilted, she takes a job at a local bookstore and contemplates the path that her life has taken.  It is a story with very little action and a plot that meanders through scenes that compel the reader to smile or grimace, rather than to laugh or cry. 

The love interest/future father was a truly despicable character.  From the first few scenes, I found myself hoping that he would meet a timely demise.  Unfortunately, Esme's infatuation with him and her inability to see how badly he was treating her, made me dislike her whenever they were on the page together.  To be fair, at least Mitchell managed to make an impression.  The Bookstore features an almost entirely male cast and I did have some difficulty keeping them straight.  I could never remember which characters worked in the store and which were homeless men thrown in with some type of attempt at social commentary. 

The Bookstore itself, The Owl, is what piqued my interest in this title.  I was hoping for a magical realm full of interesting characters.  However, I found the scenes within the store to be some of the most tedious.  The author had an unfortunate habit of referencing obscure authors and artists that I found pretentious.  I often ended up skimming during those parts.

The ending of The Bookstore was unsatisfying.  There is some character growth, but no real closure and I am still unsure as to how Esme is managing to support herself and her child without being deported.  This novel is nice for a slow read in a park/at the cottage but simply did not have enough action to distract me from the other demands on my time. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment