Monday, July 1, 2013

First Lines: June 2013

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in June.

Another Little Piece by Kate Karyus Quinn
"The field didn't end so much as trail off, beaten back by the rusted-out trailer and circle of junked vehicles surrounding it."

 The School for Good and Evil by Soman Chainani
"Sophie had waiting all her life to be kidnapped."

 Ender's Game by Orson Scott Card
" 'I’ve watched through his eyes, I’ve listened through his ears, and I tell you he’s the one.' "

The Bookstore by Deborah Meyler
"I, Esme Garland, do not approve of mess."

Night School by C.J. Daugherty
" 'Hurry up!' "

Wow, small month.  Work is always crazy busy this time of year but this June felt especially hectic. 

My favorite first line this month had to be from School of Good and Evil.  It was also my favorite book of this month and I can't wait to see what else this author has in store. 

My least favorite was Night School.  Here's hoping that it is able to redeem itself from the cliched and uninteresting first line.

0 comments:

Post a Comment