Monday, October 21, 2013

ARC Book Review: Hyperbole and a Half by Allie Brosh

Title: Hyperbole and a Half
Author: Allie Brosh
Publisher: Simon & Schuster
Release Date: October 29, 2013
Rating:4/5

Cover Impressions: I love the bright colors of the book and the artwork will be easily recognizable for people who are already fans of Allie's blog, however, I am a little concerned that it might not necessarily draw in new readers. 

Review:

Having been a follower of Hyperbole and a Half (add link) for quite some time, seeing this title was extremely exciting for me.  I have read so many of Allie's posts that I really feel like I know her.  As if I could send her a text in the middle of this book about how brilliant it is and she would send back a winky and a few random emoticons as if it was just another night, chatting with an old pal.

The book features individual stories, some hilarious, some poignant, accompanied by drawings that look like they were done by a three year old awesome illustrations.  Highlights include Warning Signs, Dinosaur (The Goose Story, and The Party.  Some of these stories are incredibly funny - tears rolling down your face kind of funny.  Don't read it in public because people will move away from you on the bus kind of funny.  I am a particular fan of anything Allie writes about her childhood as she was a particularly insane precocious child.  Other sections provide remarkable insight into depression and mental illness.  Allie does not hold anything back and is honest with her readers in a way that most people can't even be with themselves.  There were many point where the author discussed the darker nature of her personality that left me thinking "OMG, I do that".  Not only did I recognize this in myself, but it made me feel less alone and I wanted to call Allie up and tell her so that SHE could feel less alone. 

I will note that, for regular readers of the Hyperbole and a Half blog, there is not a great deal of new content, though I certainly did not mind re-reading.  That being said, Allie Brosh has a lifelong fan in this reader.  Recommending for many of my friends and anxiously awaiting anything else that Allie has planned to write. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment