Tuesday, October 1, 2013

First Lines: September 2013

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in September.

 Such Wicked Intent by Kenneth Oppel
"The books flew open like startled birds trying to escape the flames."


 Mrs Poe by Lynn Cullen
"When given bad news, most women of my station can afford to slump onto their divans, their china cups slipping from their fingers to the carpet, their hair falling prettily from its pins, their fourteen starched petticoats compacting with a plush crunch,"


Fauna by Alissa York
"She wakes to the sound of claws - a busy scrabbling on hardwood, not far from her ear."


Scarlet by Marissa Meyer
"Scarlet was descending toward the alley behind the Rieux tavern when her port screen chimed from the passenger seat."


Anna Dressed in Blood by Kendare Blake
"The grease-slicked hair is a dead giveaway - no pun intended."


Unbreakable by Kami Garcia
"As my bare feet sank into the wet earth, I tried not to think about the dead bodies buried beneath me."

My favorite first line this month was from Unbreakable.  The tone of the book is immediately apparent and the reader is thrown directly into the scene.

My least favorite line was from Mrs.Poe.  It was long winded and was the first in a long line of laments that the main character made about her fall from her station in life.  

As a side note, while I enjoyed the first line from Such Wicked Intent, the thought of all those burning books certainly made me cringe!!

0 comments:

Post a Comment