Saturday, March 1, 2014

First Lines: February 2014

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in February.

 Fog Magic by Julia L. Sauer
"From the time she was a baby in her cradle, Greta had loved the fog."



Lost Lake by Sarah Addison Allen
 "The wet night air bounced against the electric street lamps, giving off tiny sparks like flint."


World After by Susan Ee
"Everyone thinks I'm dead."


The Cracks in the Kingdom by Jaclyn Moriarty
"Maximillian Reisman can stand on his head for thirty minutes if he wants to."

Going Over by Beth Kephart
"We live with ghosts."

Salvage by Alexandra Duncan
"The morning before our ship, Parastrata, docks at the skyport, I rise early."

“Please tell me that's not going to be part of my birthday dinner this evening.”

Cress by Marissa Meyer
"Her satellite made one full orbit around planet Earth every sixteen hours." 

My favorite this month is a toss up between Lost Lake's  "The wet night air bounced against the electric street lamps, giving off tiny sparks like flint." and The Cracks in the Kingdom's "Maximillian Reisman can stand on his head for thirty minutes if he wants to."

I love the magic and beauty of Sarah Addison Allen's line and the sheer ubsurdity of Jaclyn Moriarty's.  
My least favorite line was Salvage's "The morning before our ship, Parastrata, docks at the skyport, I rise early."  It isn't that there is anything in particular that is WRONG with this line, it just isn't particularly interesting.


1 comments:

Missie said...

Loved Cress so much!
New follower :)
Missie @ A Flurry of Ponderings

Post a Comment