Tuesday, April 1, 2014

First Lines: March 2014

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in March.
 
"Just call me Ethan."

16151118


Far From You by Tess Sharpe
"It doesn't start here."

17236366


Sea of Shadows by Kelley Armstrong
"After three days of tramping across endless lava fields, Ronan quickened his steps at the sight of the forest."

A World Without Princes by Soman Chainani
"There is an uneasiness that remains after your best friend tries to kill you."

15728807



House of Ivy and Sorrow by Natalie Whipple
"They say a witch lives in the old house under the interstate bridge."

13418925



Don't Look Back by Jennifer L. Armentrout
"I didn't recognize the name on the street sign."

Sleep No More by Aprilynne Pike
"I sit on the itchy couch and stare at Mommy's eyes, wishing for them to open."


My favorite first line this month came from A World Without Princes.  It was the perfect way to re-introduce the reader to the story while also keeping that sense of other-worldliness that makes this series so wonderful.  My least favorite line was probably from Vigilante Poets.  It just didn't have any zing and that theme continued through the rest of the novel. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment