Thursday, May 1, 2014

First Lines: April 2014

The first words you read can often set the tone for the entire story.  I thought it would be fun to keep track of the first lines of the books I read each month and share them with you.  Below are the first lines for all the books I read in April.

Nature Girl by Carl Hiaasen
"On the second day of January, windswept and bright, a half-blood Seminole named Sammy Tigertail dumped a dead body in the Lostmans River."
 
 The Break Up Artist by Philip Siegel
"Couples are made to be broken."

A Creature of Moonlight by Rebecca Hahn
"All summer long the villagers have been talking of the woods."

Feather Bound by Sarah Raughley
"At precisely seven in the morning, my oldest sister, Ericka, arrived at our Brooklyn shack and was horrified to find out dad sprawled out on the couch basting in a sea of beer cans."

Flights and Chimes and Mysterious Times by Emma Trevayne
"There are doorways and there are doorways."

Life by Committee by Corey Ann Haydu
"Hey, Tabitha? I have a secret, Joe types."

I Kill The Mockingbird by Paul Acampora
"My mother's wheelchair does not fit through the bathroom door, and I don't know what to do about it."


Some great lines this month! I wasn't the biggest fan of Nature Girl but I did enjoy the detail and the picture that its first line painted.  I also really enjoyed both A Creature of Moonlight and Flight's and Chimes and Mysterious Times for their fantastical lines 
 
My least favorite was from Life by Committee.  It was a pretty standard and boring line and set us up for a lackluster teenage romance. 

0 comments:

Post a Comment